Re: Orlanthi Property; Barntar

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:49:59 -0700

John Hughes

> My model uses a celtic-style inheritance, where private property is shared
> equally among all eligible heirs. My reasons stem from ethnographic models,

I believe this is *not* the Heortling model -- one reason being that I believe this is the Alakoring model.

Of course, if you define eligible heirs more narrowly than the Irish, you can at least preserve some difference. But I suspect the Heortlings designate their primary heirs.

> believe that bloodline membership is by nature fairly fluid and flexible:
> people argue, get jealous, move closer to their cult teachers or are forced
> to move because of changing populations or the variability of field and
> pasture resources.

Sounds a little more like stead or household to me.

Dave

> Dad, dad, there's Orlanth the Farmer and Barntar, which one is
> better at farming? Why do we have both? When do we worship one and not the
> other? Are they the same God with a different name? If one is better than
> the other why do we worship the other?

So how old are you?

I believe Barntar is better at farming, because he is utterly devoted to it. All men farm, but it's not every man's life.

Who says we don't worship both? All men worship Orlanth, and all farmers worship Barntar. Not all men are called to Barntar as initiates or devotees.

How could Orlanth and his son be the same god? Orlanth brings the rains, and Barntar makes the best use of them.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein