LotR

From: markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:20:11 -0000

John Hughes
>This is way OT, and Glorantha is one of the few fantasy worlds that
*doesn't* have Tolkein as a direct inspiration,<

I'd say that Tolkien was an inspirition on Glorantha, it's just that that influence is more subtle than making it a cheap imitation. Or maybe that was what you meant by "direct"?

Andrew Barton
>One thing I dislike about LoTR is the way that the whole race of
orcs is
presented as evil because they were made that way. Tolkein was a Christian
and I'd have hoped he would allow for the possibility of an orc overcoming
its background. No sentient being should be beyond the possibility of redemption.<

I think Tolkien covered this ground with character of Gollum. Not quit an Orc, and quit redeemed, but almost.

                                               Mark Mohrfield