Re: Digest Number 767: Mastery inflation

From: Steven White <fringe_worthy_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:30:10 -0500

> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:43:48 -0800
> From: "Richard, Jeff" <jeff.richard_at_...>
> Subject: Mastery inflation
>
> <CHOP>
> The bigger problem for me is on the sample resistance numbers given in HW.
> I know I'm a big fan of "bitterly cold Dragon Pass winters" (although I did
> just run my adventurers trekking across the Rockwoods in winter - boy that
> was unpleasant), but 5M4?
>
> Jeff

Actually, I'd think it could be this hard.

Here's a scenerio for you:

	Get yourself caught mooning after chief's wife in midwinter,
	and flee the steed with your shirt half on

Unless you're a really good Odaylian bear, what's your chance of prospering during winter?

After all, what do you do during half the year?

This sounds like a couple masteries worth of enhancements to me. But you only notice them when you don't have them.

And how often do you get a major or complete success during winter? Ie:

It might be argued that even after all the preparation (call it enhancement/buffing), clans still tend to only get minor victories/loses.
And quite possibly, every couple years/decades, they get some major defeats? (I seem to recall someone on the KoDP list moaning over having half their ring die one winter. :)

Of course, I might be scarred from:

We learned to treat winter with respect and fear....

But... I'd use another figure if I was seeing how bad the night was during a well prepared one day jaunt during winter.