Re: Alakoring vs. Heortling

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:52:14 GMT

Ian Cooper

>The Alakorings are Vingkotlings but influenced
>by Alakoring Dragonbreaker.

Not correct. Many of the Alakorings were never Vingkotlings or Heortlings (such as the Talastari Tribes).

Many more of the Alakorings

>So we get
>
> Orlanthi
> |
> Vingkotlings [Celtic analogues]

At this level, there are the Drogarsi of Maniria who claim descent from another of Orlanth's Sons. They include the Wenelian Tribes.

> |-- Heortlings [Germanic influences]
> Alakorings [?]--| |
> |-- Sartari[Icelandic analogues]
> |
> |-- Hendrieki [AS influences]

The Hendrieki are much older than the Sartarites as they have been around since the Chaos Wars.

>We know that Alakoring instituted the Rex subcult to remove power
>from the Wind Lords and placed it in the hands of tribal chiefs and
>that before that Vingkotling clans were run by Wind Lords .

The Rexes (also Reg and some other celtic term that I can't recall) are used in Heortling Tribes too. I think Alakoring cleansed the old tribal kingship of draconic influences and promulgated this as Orlanth Rex rather than any class struggles.

>Tarsh which is Alakoring has moved to a hereditary nobility. I
>suspect that this might be more feasible in a culture that gave more power
>to their rulers and less to the people.

Tarsh only moved to a hereditary nobility as a result of lunar influences.

--Peter Metcalfe