Lunar Military Equipment

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:53:35 EST

In a message dated 2/26/2002 10:23:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:
> > > The art was of varying quality. I liked almost all of it, but the

> > > all-too-roman pictures with the lorica segmentata (p.18, 28) seem
> >very
> > > wrong.
> Simon:
> >Roman equipment and armour for some Lunar regiments is fine, but I
> >think Republican era Roman arms and armour would probably be more
> >appropriate. Lorica Hamata for example, which Romans made from both
> >bronze and iron, would be fine. In fact I'm pretty sure I've seen it
> >in Gloranthan art before.

Lorica is okay for armour for some of the modern lunar regiments, though not all. I would use the plethora of Osprey books as a basis for this, if you want to visualise and show your players them. A breakdown might be like this:

Classic Pelandan - Diodochi Greek or Macedonian. Daxdarian phalanxes might even be more uniform, I tend to see them as being more like the Spartans in appearance.

Pre Elmexdros Dara Happan - Similar to Pelandan with some localised differences in the established phalanxes but also many units will look more Assyrian, with scale male from Darjiin being (and still remaining) very popular. Cavalry are Scythian in appearance due to the Jenarongi influence while heavies might be more Sarmatian or Assyrian heavy cav in style.

Cavalry are pre-stirrup until Kastokus. Post Kastokus, they increasingly look like Cataphracts of the early-late Roman era, possibly Clibinari of the Sassanids too, esp those recruited and outfitted in traditional scale wearing regions like Darjiin, Alkoth or the entire Henjarl region.

Post-Elmexdros, the creation of the Line Regiments in such profusion (around a dozen 1000 man units were created inside 5 years for his wars), changed the shape of the army quite quickly. Front 100 were very heavy inf in chain and plate and heavy sarissa, next 200 were more like a 7th century Byzantine spearman - chain and shield. The last 700 were archers, lightly armoured but cohesive. 10th century Byzantine infantry regiments are a model for these troops.

Carmanian era, Knights and heavy cav are increasingly shock based, with longer lances, no longer overhand use, chainmail and increasing amounts of plate reinforcement. Basically Norman era kit. Infantry have no new innovations till the Lunar era.

Lunar forces suffered huge losses and began to be recruited from across the Empire, rather than regionally - hence the Modern Lunar appellation to that type of unit. This method was used to break up regional loyalties and to bind the men to the state rather than the place they were recruited from. This was particularly true after the Jannisor rebellion. However, the change from local recruiting to standardised regimental recruiting also changed the method of equipping the unit. No longer were local resources used for modern Lunar units, rather a centralised system was created, using as much mass production as possible. Here we see standardised shield, armour (lorica and the like) and weapons for the first time in the Imperial army, but remember that this is relatively new still, mostly since the Night of Horrors. Of course, many regiments are still regionally based in the Imperial forces while the garrison and house armies are completely regionally based and still subject to the vagaries of their cultural area.

Martin Laurie