Re: Re: Campaign styles; inflation

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 19:53:30 +1300

Jim Chapin:

>In a message dated 3/4/02 1:14:05 AM, metcalph_at_... writes:

><<Certainly 5W4 is far too strong as it will kill virtually all
>Valind devotees that have just gained the secret of survive
>winter at a rating of 12, which doesn't sound right. >>

>Crossing a major mountain range (the biggest in the world?) in the dead of
>winter SHOULD be far harder than a starting Valind worshipper could attain.

But I didn't say "starting Valind worshipper", I used the example of a Valind devotee that just gained the secret of survive winter.

>It's like the difference between climbing a mountain and climbing Everest.
>The latter has a death rate of 20%, even though almost all attempted climbs
>have been by the most experienced mountaineers.

These days Everest is attempted by rich mountaineers and their guides. While the guides may have heaps of experience, their patrons are not "the most experienced" by a long shot. Your example might have been better using K2 which is a real kush (as in Hindu Kush).

>Surviving in Sartar in the winter would be like my childhood winter in NJ
>without heat, hot water, or electricity -- miserable, but not generally
>fatal (disease excepted). But the Rockwoods winters would be way way tougher.

But the example that people are complaining about is "Deep Winter in Dragon Pass", not the Rockwoods.

--Peter Metcalfe