Re: Undertribes?

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:29:39 -0000

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> Just found another data point. An Overking is an intermediate
status between a tribal king and a high king (TR p37) being "First among at least four other kings". So the Overtribe looks like a variation of a tribal confederation.

Aaargh, my original post was taken by the gift carriers.

All IMO:
I think that one way of envisioning the Aldachuri (and the Kerofini) is as regional identities within Tarsh. Greg's notes in UW1 suggest to that no nation of Tarsh existed until the arrival of Yarandros; instead, there were alliances and confederations. So we have scope for imagining cultural identities below Tarsh. IMO the separation of the Kerofini and AldaChuri by the natural barriers of the Dragonspine Mountains and Snakepipe Hollow, have always made them independent of `lowland ` Tarsh and given them their own cultural identity. Notice how often KoS refers to them by these names (I would draw a parallel to Wales and Scotland's independence from Britain but it is so overloaded that I remain cautious about pushing it too much).

Following the civil war, these regional identities became more important. IMO the Kerofini were small enough to be once just a tribe, but the influx of refugees to the region, particularly from around Arim's Secret Valley, created new tribal alliances, in some cases centered around pre-existing Kerofini clans (i.e. Hendarli and Marantaros) turning the old tribal ring into an inter-tribe talking shop (perhaps with the ambition of becoming more).

I think the Aldachuri `confederation' predated the civil war, there have always been multiple tribes there, but the confederation may only recently have been transformed into an Overtribe by Harvar as a vehicle for establishing political dominance in the region (and even further ambitions of nationhood or rulership of Tarsh)

>The undertribe sounds to me like a mocking name for tribes forced>
to pay tribute to the overtribe.

Agreed.