RE: Lhankhor Mhy book protection

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:44:00 -0600

Terra Incognita asks:

>How about Irripi Ontor and Buserian?
>I think LM and these two have various classification system.
>What's the common and variable methods of each Cults?

        There's a couple of differences between the three. Off the top of my head:

  1. Busarian -- The "oldest" continuous tradition. Whatever the classification system, it is old, universal, and fairly rigid -- the Solars are not noted for their wild invention. I image that there are two systems -- one for the oldest records (on clay or metal tablets) that is simpler (deals only with prayers, rituals, tax records, etc) and another for whatever system of writing the Dara Happans now use (on some flexible media -- paper, parchment, papyrus, etc) that should be more complex and able to deal with letters, reports, poetry, etc. I picture the Busarians as archivists rather than librarians -- they are concerned with collections of documents past their first use that are stored and used as units (the rituals enacted by Alexfergumander, Priest of Yelm, during his tenure, for example). The concern should be with having, preserving, and accessing knowledge, not necessarily knowing it. Order is all.
  2. Lhankor Mhy -- The focus is on knowing, whether through memory, inspiration, study, or records. We know that there is no set classification system. Sages arrange things as suits them. In large libraries, smaller collections are erratically incorporated as the sages die, Chief Priests reorganize when they can manage it, and other sages swipe things, mess with the records, etc. While the Busarians are essentially state functionaries, Mhyites are independent scholars in a loose community (should there be enough of them in the area) rather than librarians. They also always charge for services, if I recall. It would not surprise me if Mhyites saw writing and records as a sort of "external memory" -- sacred and personal (so no imperative to make it accessible to other users).
  3. Irripi Ontor -- Somewhere between the other two. They are not as rigid as the Bs, nor as erratic as the LMs. They are not necessarily part of a state apparatus (although they can be), nor do they need to charge for services. They have a balance between access and knowing. They probably have a variety of classification systems depending on whether they are librarians, archivists, or scholars and the traditions of the institution they serve, if any. While I suppose there is a mandated Imperial Classification System (perhaps LC or "Lunar Classification"), I doubt it is really universal -- lots of local collections, especially those of Dara Happan institutions have been clumsily incorporated with mixed results.

        A few further points -- none of these systems will have anything like a card catalog. At best, the various "volumes" will be recorded on shelf lists, which are more inventories than finding aids. Indexing and cross-referencing seems pretty much unlikely. You find about specific title through friends and mentions in other sources; bibliographies are limited to the minds of the scholars (and Thanitari heads, I suppose, for the unsqueamish). Jane Average Gloranthan, even if literate (making her not average), will need to go to a B, LM, or OI to find anything. Besides, no one is going to let a non-initiate browse in the stacks -- you ask for something by topic, author, or title, and you take what the cultist gives you.

Peter Larsen