Re: Re: Heortling freemen

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:29:32 -0400

I agree that there must be some relationship between a carl's wealth and wergild. I think that we might have different views of a "carl." What I am referring to is someone who meets the King of Sartre definition of someone who has a full team of oxen and who is entrusted with an amount of the clan's farmland equivalent to what one man can plow in two seasons (KoS, p.244) I see a carl as being a fairly substantial member of the community, not just a freeman.

The point I was trying to emphasize is that I believe that wergild is set fairly high to create a form of social control on individual violence. IMG, most people are not really capable of paying the wergild of a substantial member of another community, they will be forced to fall back on their bloodline, then their clan (if necessary) to be able to pay. This leaves them reaching out to various eminent member of their clan (or cult, or any other allies) to avoid being outlawed. Thus, they had better bear in mind that if they are ready to kill someone, it had better be a situation where their circle of support will step up to the plate. I think this is the major social control in Orlanthi society on random violence- not the fear of punishment, but the impact on one's kin, clan, cult, and comrades.

Of course, this doesn't always restrain a red blooded Orlanthi, and is even less likely to restrain a red blooded adventuring PC, but it does give them an opportunity to exercise those Relationship and Persuasive Speaking abilities they might have slighted in favor of being bad ass swordspersons.

Gerald Bosch