Gloranthan Analogues

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 07:19:27 -0500

On 8/11/00 at 3:48 PM Nils Weinander wrote:

>David Dunham:
>>
>> I can broadly agree, though I dislike any notion of Egypt and Esrolia
>> (just because one conquerer named himself Pharaoh) -- I prefer
>> Minoans for Esrolian influences.
>
>I agree, ancient Egypt was a river culture which Esrolia
>is not. Also, women had a strong position in minoan Crete,
>which makes it a suitable source of ispiration.

I agree that I've always thought of Esrolians as Minoans, but I've been a little perturbed by the almost total lack of anyplace recognizably Egyptian in Glorantha. Immense palaces, monuments, and temples, elaborate tombs, a cultural emphasis on the dead... great fodder for adventures!! The absence of a Nile-like river wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

On the other hand, I always used to think of the Lunar Empire as Greek and Roman, largely because of the "Lunar Name Generator" back in an ancient copy of Wyrms Footnotes (the first one I ever bought). Obviously, Dara Happa is now characterized as Mesopotamian, correct? The clothing and hairstyles look that way, and the various Greggly works-in-progress have that feel, and they DO have the Oslir instead of the Tigris and the Euphrates.

Now if we could just work the Hittites in there somewhere...

Guy

PS I guess I had a point when I started this message, but I seem to have mislaid it.

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To