Re: Tulas & Wyters

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:38:47 -0000

Ian writes:

> As an aside I'm toying with the idea that the wyter's ability
> to 'percieve' an area depends on clan folk living in, moving
> through, or patrolling the area. The less frequently travelled
> an area the dimmer it is to the wyter's perception.

Excellent notion. Your simile makes it easy for non-Gloranthan types to understand, too, and is therefore a Good Thing:

> (To my mind it is sort of like computer strategy games like
> Warcraft, where the fog of war quickly stops you geting updates
> for changes in areas that you have no units in).

This all makes sense to me. Even if something *notionally* happens on your tula (and even if your tula is *notionally* contiguous with other clans' tulas along every edge), it doesn't mean the wyter is necessarily aware of what's going on.

This, coupled with an "alynx territoriality" view (contrasted with the dogged Lunars painting the whole map red), may well be the way to go.

Charles Corrigan had an interesting related suggestion, too, expressed at a recent pub night, about whether wyters are better or worse at noticing *atypical* behaviour -- I'll leave it to him to expand on this.

Cheers, Nick