Re: HeroQuest

From: Newt <newtiswrong_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:11:33 -0000

Trotsky said;
> I've already heard people on other mailing lists say that while they had
> no interest in Hero Wars, they're eager to try out HeroQuest, which
> they've been waiting for so many years. This would suggest that the name
> change is, indeed, a Good Thing from a marketing POV.

I wholeheartly agree with you there Trotsky. Already people I know, who where huge RQ fans but where somewhat befuddled by Herowars are saying that they are greatly interested. They seem to think that there will less of a leap between HQ and RQ than the one they perceived with HW. I don't have the heart to tell them its HW with a new name, but I hope they will be pleasantly surprised.

As for the logo presently up at glorantha.com, even though it may be temporary this greatly enhances this view, being sooooooo similar to the old RQ logo it hurts.

As far as I'm concerned this is a very good marketing strategy, one that will greatly benefit the community, since it will hopefully get all those people clinging onto RQ off the fence and playing in Glorantha again! I've spent the last 2 years at Eurolog conventions running Hero Wars Games, to introduce the RQ sceptics to the new system...and boy has it been an uphill struggle. Lots of face pulling("well we didn't do that in Rune Quest") and little compromises (like people saying they are going to use HW rules as long as they can roll D% instead of D20). I'm hoping HeroQuest's release will see an end to this nonsense!

;O)Newt

www.eurolog.org