Trickster Steals Fire

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:57:47 -0800

At 09:46 PM 3/3/2002 -0800, Michael asked

Yea, this answer is from way back.

>> Can anyone point me to a "trickster steals fire" myth for
>> Glorantha, preferably heortling?
>
>According to the cult in Questlines 1:
>
>"Firebringer
>Eurmal the Lightbringer is an important god in the Theyalan
>culture..." The rune magic is Hide Fire.

One time the LB were all captured by Darkness forces and kept prisoner in Argan Argar's basement. Eurmal turned himself into a raven, hence a "darkness creature," and escaped. He hung around for a while with the other dark forces, drinking the intoxicating drink that Zorak Zoran's boys served, but got bored and so stole the bottle and flew away. The demons pursued, but Eurmal spat at them and drove them back. The first spit was a fire that made a fire for a human, the second for a god and the third for destruction. The demons stopped pursuing, and when they got back home they found that the other Lightbringers had escaped. The human who got the fire is, in various rites, Heort, Hantrafl or Stilfin (aka, Fire Maker).
The god is often, in different rites, Orlanth who wakes up slowly and warms those nearby; Yinkin, who goes and thaws Orlanth; or Elmal, who wakes and sits up quickly.
The destructive fire is usually identified with Oakfed.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>