Re: Re: Whose Hills?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:42:28 -0800

> I asked mostly about the geology of the hills because:
> 1- We know a bit about the flora and fauna of the hills.
> 2- I don't see any problem fitting reasonable flora and fauna to the
> landscape, once I know what the landscape looks like. But even in
> the same climate zone 1000 metre tall shallow sided limestone hills
> and 100m high steep sided granite knuckes will have very different
> ecosystems.

Don't forget to add in the effects of active intelligences in your calculations Those Limestone Hills and Granite knuckles might well (and probably do) have some sort of intelligence in them. It could be a spirit, it could be a daimon or essence, or *something else*, but there are *things* out there. The Hills are Alive, indeed! Certain animals or plants may be found only on a one hillside, or below a specific waterfall, "You can always find Green Squirrels playing in the Wind-Oak groves on the slopes of Two-Pine Ridge"; or conspicuously absent from a location "Never go where the Ernalda's Eyes don't grow, for there is danger there" And remember that some of those hills or ridges might just be a snoozing Dragon, rather than limestone or granite.

RR