Re: armour times?

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:56:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/15/00 12:38:11PM, you write: Dave Bailey
<< Can you point me in the direction of a resource that'll tell me how  long a smith/armourer takes to make stuff? For that matter all manner of  other timescale/job related numbers, how many yards of drystone wall can be  built in a day?>>

The same resource which details assorted string lengths might be useful! Seriously, I cannot really help here, try Frederic Taylor on Scientific Management, or more recently E. Godlratt in 'The Goal' a book on Optimise dProduction technology. It matters who is doing the job, how much they are getting paid, what happens to them
if it takes longer than it should, quality of materials, rework, available equipment, etc.

Gamewise, either make it up, relate it to how much the product costs (see Marxist theory on labour I think), or make a scenario out of the product process. I did this once for the much depleted Carmanian armoury, charged with the arming of the Carmanian Army to fight the New Moon Queendom. The players were put in charge of a dwarf foundry in Kitor and had assorted production/supply chain problems thrown at them (process times, set up times, raw material shortages, deadlines, etc) , and they had to make decisions about what to do. Since this is my RW job (although it isn't a dwarf foundry) it was easy to make calamities happen in a realistic way.

Keith N