Re: Re: Alakoring vs Heortling vs Vingkotling

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:34:15 GMT

David Dunham:

> > Orlanth's myths make much of the free nature of his society and
> > Ring. For clans to be, before-Rex, governed by a religious
> > hierarchy trivializes this aspect of Orlanth for me.

>Well, we know little about the nature of the Heortlings as members of the
>EWF.
A social structure imposed by alien dragons is not the same thing as how Orlanth says that you should live. Furthermore this social structure will manifest at the tribal level and above rather than the clan-level that I was talking about.

> > I do feel however that
> > this is aimed at foreign and draconic priests undermining the
> > Orlanthi tribal loyalties rather than the tribal Wind Voices
> > who would be honor-bound to obey their tribal king most of
> > the time.

>I guess this discussion boils down to whether you think draconic
>priests *are* Orlanthi priests or not. I suspect most were.

But both the runespell and the feat are applicable to more than just Orlanthi Priests. Hence whether most of the EWF priests were Orlanthi or not is immaterial IMO. What matters more I think is their attitude towards the Tribal King, ("I serve the dragon, I do not need to obey you" or "My God says now is not the right time to fight the Dragon, therefore I will not go on this expedition").

By appealing to Orlanth's status as the King of the Gods, the Rex can marshal his tribe's religious assets more effectively.

But before the EWF, I do think Orlanthi priests would have been no less loyal to the tribe than any other Orlanthi. After all, Elmali and Humakti are fanatically loyal without any need for a Rex feat.

--Peter Metcalfe