Re: How Lunars shave their faces?

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:28:56 -0500

Terra Incognita writes:

>Cannot any of Orlanthi invent some sharp razors? Or they try to melt
>down these Lunar Decadent supplies as soon as they found them?

        I think there is a fair amount of cultural meaning in Orlanthi hair fashions. The Tarshites wear moustaches but no beards, the Sartari prefer full beards. I'm not sure where the Tarshite moustache thing comes from -- is it a south Pelorian Orlanthi thing, an Alakoring thing, a Ralian thing? Similarly, I assume Esrolian men have opinions about their facial adornment (perhaps shaving is trying to be "like a woman" and discouraged).

        Specific cults and sub cults also have an effect. We know that Orlanth Thunderous followers wear their hair loose, Ernaldans have fairly strict hair styles (presumably they follow whatever is appropriate for the age and marital status indicated by their aspect, Mhyites wear beards, Nandani (presumably) don't.

        So changing hair and/or beard styles is a Big Deal. The Lunars could order that all men braid their hair, which might root out the Thunderous followers, but might cause civil unrest for a gesture of dubious value. Clans that accept the Lunars probably do change their hair styles, at least for the most eagerly Lunarized. On the other hand, the Lunars are pretty multicultural, and I don't think there is any one "Lunar style," so maybe the Lunars don't think it's a big deal. They are used to having a wide range of adornments -- from Alkothites with their big beards and scars to smooth Dara Happans to tattooed and moustachioed Tarshites -- the Goddess has room for Everyone in Her Salon....

>(I think at least Humakti should shave their face with their own
>sharp sword.)

        I kind of like this, especially because it would further set Humakti apart as "not normal" -- they are not kin, not men. Perhaps it varies by sub-cult, culture, and temple/group of worshippers.

Peter Larsen