RE: armour times?

From: Dave Bailey <dave.bailey_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:38:03 +0100

        Wulf and Co,

         > The fun bit is tempering a (steel or iron) blade... you can plunge the
> hot blade in water, but better are oil, blood (your enemies,
> preferably), or urine... These are to add various chemicals (notably
> carbon) to the surface metal. My friends tried urine once... only
> once. Try working in a shed full of urine steam and you'll see why...

        [Dave Bailey] Thanks for that, I seem to remember something about Japanese swords being tempered by thrusting them into criminals bodies as well.

        The reason for my question was that I was wondering how I was going to explain to my players, when I start running this, how the socio-economic system works and was just thinking about "So you want to buy a mail shirt?". Anyway it got me thinking 'cause I seem to remember something about it taking a hellish long time to create one and that it's going to take a huge amount of time away from other projects like making nails for next weeks barn raising or a plow for the neighbour. It seemed to me that this is a prestige project and was generally wondering what other big projects could be turned into an adventure to illustrate the flow of favours and gifts around the clan. Also it means I can quickly establish the players in the tangled web of gifting and counter gifting that is the Orlanthi lifestyle.

        Dave

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute, or take any action or reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender. Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.