Re: armour times?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:48:34 -0000

> 1) Just how many armourers are there, I assume that in order
> function a clan must have reasonably good access to one even if
they don't
> have one in house as it were. I would certainly expect there to be
at least
> 1 per tribe.

More than that, at least one plus a good few apprentices. You need a lot of help for the ammount of metal to be shifted around, plus firing and general metalwork, maintaining toold, etc. A good blacksmith (or redsmith) could turn out simple stuff like axeheads, and it doesn't take an armourer to make new hafts for axes & spears, or leather armour.

> 2) On the assumption the Lunars would nick anybody wandering
around
> with "official" lunar army arms and armour what scope is there for
> converting or melting down captured equipment? Can you recycle
tempered
> weapons?

Swords are (or at least can be) distinctive, and unless you're short on metal melting them down means starting from scratch anyway (hell, even just heating them up to red hot means re-tempering). But mail can easily be remade into a new shirt, and leather is leather.

> 3) I need a "something" that the players will want to buy
that will
> weave them into the socio-economic web?

A decent warhorse? ANYTHING Iron (even just finding a Blacksmith with spare time in a Bronze society should be an event)? Ancient relics? A dragonbone Klanth? Look around and you'll find some trader with that certain something that's no use to him, but damnably pricey to you...

Wulf