Re: armour times?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:54:44 -0400

Deleted a wonderful section on saxon military-industrial complexes. =) Thanks!

> And if the players think they can FORCE a smith to work for them,
> well, read the story of Welland...

Or Sigurd or Hesphastos.

Smiths are ornery when provoked. But then, being the second oldest form of magician (or third) I think that's well within their rights.

Smiths should be kinda strange and uncanny folks.

> As you say, the players are likely to become embroiled in a web of
> gift giving if they want to own a mail shirt.
>
> As for the manufacturing time being hellishly long... yes and no. Yes
> if you want one made while-you-wait. But consider a Chief who employs
> an armourer. That armourer can make about 20 mail shirts a year.
> Given that mail shirts will last several years, and that a King will
> have only few dozen weaponthanes at most, this is an acceptable
> production rate.

Like the commercial says: Can't guarantee you'll outlast 'em.

Jeff