Re: Trade Goods from the Lunar Empire: Well, how about Ukiyo-e?(B

From: IWASAKI Moto(B <efendi_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:03:36 +0900

> Rare liquors. And one can go by BARGE with only a minor pack-horse
> interlude from the Empire down to Karse.
and
> (Cotton is) A bulky, heavy kind of trade goods.

Which is your opinion?
Anyway,

> German wines were treasured as far away as
> Constantinople and the Russian principalties. Tithe for the Pope was
> often collected in Rhinewine which was then sent to Rome. Its a long,
> long way from Bacharach to Kiev. Much farther than it is from Peloria
> to Esrolia, no matter what map-scale you use.

I agree. I think that West Dargin and Ryst produce best wine in Genertela, like Alsace or Bordeaux. Surely, the best wine pleased by Esrolians is there. (However, Esrolians may like the Sartarite Whiskey than the Red Wine from Lunar.)

> And, as the Dutch and English
> found when they tried to trade with Japan and China, cloth & wool does
> not sell in a climate where one tends to need silk.

Do you know that woolens are prickly and heavey? And Indian Cotton Fabrics are smooth and clear like a wing of cicada. And the main business of the East Indian Company in 17c was not trading between Europa and Far East. They traded between India and Indonesia. The navigation in 17c couldn't make a profit from a long distance trading.
But, Esrolians can buy cotton from Teshnos. Surely, Esrolians don't buy Pelorian Cotton.

> But I don't see a huge weapon making tradition in Esrolia,

Why?

> So importing someone who can make swords/axes/bows better is
> very, very standard.

I agree in this point.
When I visited the Turkish Military Museum in Istanbul, I suprised that almost Turkish weapons and armours are equal to Eurpean's. Soldiers will are without picking and choosing for their weapons defensing their lifes.

By the way, I think that Esrolian smiths are skillful. Because, Esrolia have a plentiful supply of copper from the past (the Age of Gods).

> Literacy and the ability to READ Pelorian is not going to
> be common in Esrolia.

I agree. Well, how about prints like Ukiyo-e?

In Japan in Edo period (17-19c), poor farmers in the countryside rushed in Edo (this name is old Tokyo) for wage earning. And men population in Edo were increasing. The reminder men couldn't marry. Relatively, the status of women were rising. When a wife found her unpleasant things, as soon as she said "Thank you by now" and divorce. (I think that this situation is looked in Esloria.)
Then Ukiyo-e ("Ukiyo" means "secular", "E" means "picture") was pleased, especially Shun-ga ("Shun" means "sexual", "Ga" means "picture") like Utamaro's printings.

by Efendi

  Memini tui. Simul aliquid audivero, tibi scribam.

Moto Iwasaki      E-mail : efendi_at_...
$B4d:j(B  $BK>EP(B        Cell Ph: efendi_at_...
Yanqi Wangdeng My Site: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ty2m-iwsk/rq/