RE: Re: armour times?

From: Dave Bailey <dave.bailey_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:01:34 +0100

        [Dave Bailey] Wulf:

> > 1) Just how many armourers are there, I assume that in order
> > function a clan must have reasonably good access to one even if
> they don't
> > have one in house as it were. I would certainly expect there to be
> at least
> > 1 per tribe.
>
> More than that, at least one plus a good few apprentices. You need a
> lot of help for the ammount of metal to be shifted around, plus
> firing and general metalwork, maintaining toold, etc. A good
> blacksmith (or redsmith) could turn out simple stuff like axeheads,
> and it doesn't take an armourer to make new hafts for axes & spears,
> or leather armour.

	[Dave Bailey]
	Is there really that much work to keep an armourer going full time,
I was assuming that he'd spend plenty of time doing blacksmith type stuff?

> > 2) On the assumption the Lunars would nick anybody wandering
> around
> > with "official" lunar army arms and armour what scope is there for
> > converting or melting down captured equipment? Can you recycle
> tempered
> > weapons?
>
> Swords are (or at least can be) distinctive, and unless you're short
> on metal melting them down means starting from scratch anyway (hell,
> even just heating them up to red hot means re-tempering). But mail
> can easily be remade into a new shirt, and leather is leather.

	[Dave Bailey]
	OK, so the answers yes and I guess given the number of dead lunars
from the previous years I guess most clans could have a few bits'n'bobs buried around the tula for when they need to melt it down.

> > 3) I need a "something" that the players will want to buy
> that will
> > weave them into the socio-economic web?
>
> A decent warhorse? ANYTHING Iron (even just finding a Blacksmith with
> spare time in a Bronze society should be an event)? Ancient relics? A
> dragonbone Klanth? Look around and you'll find some trader with that
> certain something that's no use to him, but damnably pricey to you...

        [Dave Bailey] hmmm, I was thinking the following- the players approach a smith to make the shirt, he can't do it 'cause he needs to make a plow, the players could loan the farmer their plow (and oxen) which enables him to plant now. This means that the farmer won't be available to help his neighbour build his barn so the players also need to fill in for the farmer so that project gets completed as well. Of course this means that the farmer was able to get a better crop, maybe gifts the players later in the year when theirs isn't so good (they lent out their plow), the barn owner offers to house some of the players cows over the dark season to save them being slaughtered..........anyway I need something to kick off the chain reaction of debts and gifts? My mind has gone blank............

        Dave.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute, or take any action or reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender. Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.