Re: Re: Alakoring vs Heortling vs Vingkotling

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:01:28 +0200

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
> But the word god is (possibly) not quite the right one -- it will
> certainly work on Daimones (servant in latin, I think?) of gods, esp
> those in the Storm pantheon.

No, no, Greek. It is a general word for spiritual or semi-divine beings, including, but not exclusively, evil spirits, demons, devils, etc.

Interestingly, Liddell-Scott-Jones Lexicon of Classical Greek also has it as the "souls of men of the golden age, acting as tutelary deities" and "the Divine power".

It can also be a personal Genius (so as to explain a Greek word with a Latin), a sort of guardian or tutelary spirit.

--
Henrix