Re: The Ratuki

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 14:53:41 +0100 (BST)

Nils:
> That does make some very good sense. Not the least as it also
> gives the Ratuki an excellent reason to loot and plunder and
> take captives: if Ratuk doesn't respond well to sacrifice,
> they have to sacrifice proportionally more to get a decent
> return.

It would give them a considerably better reason to become animists, though. Given that there are only four basic methods, it hardly sounds like rocket science to work out "which" they ought to be. (The usual counter to this is that "traditional societies" are conservative in the extreme about their religious practices; I think that wouldn't stand up here because the modern Ratuki lifestyle is itself not very "traditional", and because "conservativism" is harder to stand up in defence of something that's "objectively" wrong, in internal terms (like "here's a better way to worship Ratuk" as opposed to "worshipping Ratuk is wrong, don't to it at all any more.)

> > If
> > they integrates aspects of a Great Shark Spirit, it's harder
> > still to call them non-hsunchen, surely? (Granted not having
> > the right Green Age credentials might make them "neo-hsunchen"
> > or some such alarming concept...)
>
> Question is, do the Ratuki consider themselves shark souls
> trapped in human bodies? (I don't know).

Me neither...