Re: Digest Number 841

From: t_m_ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 21:35:20 -0000

I thought that it had already been mentioned that being dead, or even never truly having been "alive" was no bar to being brought before an Orlanthi Court (Ghosts, storms and the like). The problem is more that Judgement is held against the defendant and their kin, and their kin are expected to make reparation, yet the Humakti has no kin - he is not only "dead" but also "severed from his family" - so if you do successfully bring him to court, and get judgement against him, and avoid the necessity to fight him in trial by combat somehow, you may still not be able to enforce judgement...

> A Humakti can usually place himself above the law (in matters of
>killing and wergild, anyway), because his precise legal position
>depends mainly on his personal Oaths, relationship with Humakt,
>degree of identification with Death, Severance status, and other
>individual factors that simply _cannot_ be compromised.

Also Humakti are (a) fairly scary, (b) famously honourable and (c) likely weaponthanes in the employ of the chief - in order to take them  before the court you need to get people to support you against them - it's at times like this that they suddenly remember there other commitments...