Re: Re: Humakti and Heortlings law?

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 19:56:49 -0500

At 10:37 AM +1000 5/10/02, John Hughes wrote:
>Hmmm. Heortling law is not really about cause or motivation, it's about
>compensation to the affected kin group and social harmony. ST lists the
>cults "above" the law - these are Humakt, Eurmal, Urox, the Gor sisters,
>"and sometimes others". In most other cults, such arguments *might* reduce
>the compensation payments, but I don't see them holding that much weight in
>the majority of circumstances. Is every Niskisi free to commit adultery and
>unbounded sex , cause 'the daemon made me do it'? If so, surely *every*
>initiated male would join. It's a mission from god, after all. :)
>
>Nice work if you can get it...

        Yeah, but you don't pick the god; the god picks you. I'm sure there are plenty of disappointed initiates (well, not really; they all ought to be pleased with who calls them). "Oh great, I get called by the god of Plowing and toil, while my brother gets called to the god of fornication and sleeping late...."

Peter Larsen