Re: Humakti in court

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:15:24 -0000

And compensation probably paid by the clan chieftain as someone mentioned waaaay back in the discussion.

If its a weaponthane of another clan then I'd guess you are going to the tribal king for justice and both clans could put up their champion if they felt like it. If its an unsheathed humakti then you are back with the problem that they can just walk away and ignore your courtcase and your only attempted recourse is to take it up with the head of their warband, or if held against their will might call on a champion from their warband to defend their honour.

> nothing wrong with bias if dealing with a group outside of the clan
e.g. a
> Humakti warband..

Other than the obvious fact that the warband might have more and better warriors than the clan chief and might take umbrage at a kangaroo court? OK so if the clan chief is far more powerful and fancies throwing his weight around obviously he can, this has little to do with the niceties of Heortling law however.

> >appealing to the honour of the Humakti is more
> >likely to work and is a damn sight safer.
>
> of course, but I am rebelling against the concept of Humakti being
SUCH
> terrible adversaries and I believe that there are mechanisms to
keep them in
> check (or that could be used anyway) rather than simply having to
rely on
> their sense of honour (which might well be different and un-
understandable
> to ordinary Orlanthi anyway)..

I'm sure all those mechanisms exist, they would surely be needed for Uroxi. All I am saying is that most people would know that its simpler and safer to deal with Humakti on the basis of their honour because all the other options carry risks that are often greater and chances of reward that are lower.

--
Nic