From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:54:11 +0100

> From: Dave Bailey <dave.bailey_at_...>
>Subject: RE: armour times?
>
>> Benedict the Arkati writes ;
>>
>> In such a society, there is no possibility of BUYING a mail shirt. In
>> return for being able to COMMISSION works, the drihten offers the
>> smith more than a handful of coins; he provides a fortified secure
>> place full of armed men to live and work (probably important if
>> you're a goldsmith!), repeat business (as it were), social
>> recognition and legal protection. Can the player characters 'compete'
>> with a chieftain?
>>
> [Dave Bailey] I have to say I was leaning this was myself but it
>provokes to interesting problems.
>
> 1) Just how many armourers are there, I assume that in order to
>function a clan must have reasonably good access to one even if they don't
>have one in house as it were. I would certainly expect there to be at least
>1 per tribe.

Excluding the 1 or more per conderation (in the cities), there may also be armourers in some forts/towns. I'd also note that Humakti have craft weapon in their keywords and therefore I'd assume that many temples will have armourers. Humakti may require people to earn quality arms and armour in battle, though.

> 2) On the assumption the Lunars would nick anybody wandering around
>with "official" lunar army arms and armour what scope is there for
>converting or melting down captured equipment? Can you recycle tempered
>weapons?

Pass (but expect this to be fairly limited, given that if you were spotted doing this crucifixion would be on the cards).

> 3) I need a "something" that the players will want to buy that will
>weave them into the socio-economic web?

Horses?

Thom