Re: More escaping from Hell

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:09:13 EDT

In a message dated 15/05/02 07:41:43 GMT Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< here are bound to be little known/forgotten sub-cults of Elmal. I
 seem to recall when Orlanth returns to the world he throws a torch to  Elmal. Perhaps that torch carries a piece of Elmal in it, somehow? >>

Lovely suggestion, I like this one.

 Maybe your Elmali could essentially catch a ride back to the surface  as "the torch."

From: bwbfc:
<< I don't know how to tempt anyone into hell except giving them no choice or
 some strange Errinoru-like motive :-) Here are a couple of ideas as to how  they could get out.>>

I have a number of ideas here, one of the Heroes had his own shadow as a follower, but sacrificed it to save his skin from trolls. He could be going to Hell to get it back. Another lost an ancestral spirit (bound in a staff) to Gagarthi, I guess they could have sent that down to the Underworld just to be cruel. The sorceror has a Dark Brooding ability and could probably be persuaded that Hell would be a good place to cheer up. One of the Heroes fubled his "emotionless" ability while caring for the baby so has a natural reason to want to protect it, even if it means going to hell. Apart from that, Lord Pavis could tell them to do it.

<< She has to meet all the people she has killed in the past - but one of
them will be the
 Dead Emperor, as judge. At the judgement she must confound the judges with  the paradox of why she is not guilty of those murders whereas they were done  by her hands. >>

This could be an interesting court room drama.

<< Probably he's going to be held prisoner and tortured by the monsters for
some
 time before he manages to kill them and escape. IMO one of his tasks involves
 befriending the spirits of the dead and let them feed on the blood of his  mutilated body while he hangs on his chains of torture [cf G:IttHW and what  happened to Kargzant and Sheng Seleris]. He must probably feed himself on the
 sacrificed blood of his own dead and mutilated steed, if he has one >>

Cruel and unfair, but I like it.

<<On the way up, among other adventures, he could for example meet three
Darkness Spirits... One must be fought, one must be traded with, one will help you.>>

Aha! I see what you are hinting at here. Zorak Zoran, Argan Argar?, Xiola Umbar. The difficulty might be identifying them easily in the dark.

<< If Elmal falls into the Underworld IMO that's because he's back in the
Fire
 tribe. He should now serve as a dutiful and loyal servant of the Dead Emperor
 and fulfil all of his most capricious and outrageous wishes while being  beaten like a slave and so on. The Emperor is always just, but Elmal must  trick him into being unjust, letting him be blinded by his own dim, almost  extinguished light. This will cause the Emperor of the Dead to lose all of  the light and heat he has left, in which case the Lord of Ashes can do  nothing to prevent Elmal to leave the Underworld with the Justice Spear he  gained back as a torch to light the way up. Probably that counts as  experimental heroquesting, or just re-enacting the myth of Elmal's birth,  probably both.>>

Hmm, can I combine this with the court room drame from the Blue Moon. Rhetorical question.

<< You could also get inspiration from the way Ethilrist got out of Hell. In
 that respect any kind of demon-pact would be appropriate. Maybe pervert the  Cradle or Giant Ants into some kind of Demon Ship or Demon Troop.>>

Sardoz and the Black Ant Troop doesn't have quite the same ring, but is kinda tempting.

 <<But i suppose the Giant is supposed to emerge from the ground as a new  mountain>>

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Great suggestion. Perhaps Moray and Telerio can help with the new mountain.

<<Hope this supplies fodder anyway.>>

Some great fodder there, I hope the Gian Ant Demon Steed Riders like it!

Simon Hibbs:
<<Isn't Elmal associated with lightfore?>>

This is another good lead, and I like "If he ditched the torch along the way, bad things
could happen." as well.

Player: "What happens if I ditch the torch?" Narrator "bad things!"

Keith