Re: re: Getting ahead with Vinga

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:38:19 -0700

> "Also, Vinga can gain powers from a vanquished foe..."
>
> Maybe John is being tongue in cheek, especially considering his title
> line, a direct copy of the Thanatar cult slogan, but just what is the
> difference between a Thanatari and a Vingan in this headtaking
> matter? The Thanatari steals your powers, and that's horrible evil
> chaos, the Vingan steals your powers, and that's o.k.? I wonder if
> the subtleties are too complicated for the local Uroxi.

Of course, *any* god can get powers from vanquished foes - Zorak Zoran didn't just wake up one day and say "Hey, I can play with Fire", nor did Orlanth decide that being able to Walk in Shadow was a nifty ability (even if it cost 2 HP to start it at 12 instead of 1)... Almost all tales of the gods have a "and he stole XXX from YYY" element in them.

I don't think that God-Age power stealing went hand-in-hand with headtaking - Vinga didn't seem to get anything from Bansh Bone biter, the one being we *know* she took a head from, but she did from Yiril, whom she "spared". Yes, sometimes stealing a power in the myths might be connected to taking a head, but much more often than not it isn't.

Roderick