re: Head Taking

From: morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:20:10 -0000

In a fairly old post, Simon writes:

"What makes Thanatar cultists different from this is that, rather than simply taking the heads of their foes, they actualy go out of their way to kill people who are otherwise not their enemies _just_ so that they can take their heads for personal power and profit."

Sorry, but everybody is a Thanatar enemy, right? So that distinction doesn't make hold water for me. Certainly they are primarily doing their nasty deeds for power and profit, but
<cynical realism mode on>

that describes most player characters and heroes too.
<cynical realism mode off>

I know I'm playing a bit of Devil's Advocate here, but this whole "headtaking is cool, let's make myths about stealing powers with it" thread is pretty disgusting to me since Thanatari have played key roles in a lot of my past campaigns. And Argrath has a real problem using them - won't the Lunar propagandists have a field day decrying his "Thanatari"?