Re: Interpretations of Kinstrife and taboos against killing kin

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:38:18 -0000

I'm running this so FWIW my take is:

Outlawed does not mean there is no taboo against killing you. Remember that even after Vadrus killed Barntar, Orlanth did not kill him. My assumption is that it is because it was still taboo to kill him. But of course once outlawed he is fari game for others

But no, Mark's Humakti is not resheathed, and yes I think that, that makes it possible for him to kill his ex-brother (after all for Humakti, Humakt kills Orlanth to send him on the LBQ). In fact, I suspect that a Humakti's ritual seperation makes them one of the few people that can carry out executions of clan members who commit bootless crimes. Their seperation allows them to absolve the clan of breaking the taboo of kinstrife.