Re: Re: Interpretations of Kinstrife and taboos against killing kin

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 08:43:19 -0700

> > Would my characters killing former brother still be classed as
> > kinstrife in the light of the fact that he is a Humakti and his
> > brother is an outlaw.
>
> My instinct, without checking on anything specifically written
> against it, is that if he's outlawed, he's no longer kin. Therefore,
> no kinstrife.
  1. As a Humakti you legally have no kin (see "The Severing", ST 96): "A person who joins Humakt truly erases his former relationships."..."Without Kinship, a Humakti is not a member of a bloodline or clan." Even going through the Resheathing ceremony doesn't re-unite you with your kin.
  2. Outlaws are "beyond" kinship (TR 44): "Bloodlines generally mourn outlaws as those already dead, for their kinship is severed." Since the *Clan* (as opposed to the *Tribe*) outlawed him, he is truly severed from his kin.

You can kill your brother and still sleep at night (assuming you don't have a geas about sleeping at night...).

Roderick