Re: great big tracts of land

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 13:26:24 +1000

This was discussed on this list a few months ago. Here's my summary, taken from the Heortling Stead Project home page:

"What is a Hide? A hide is an Old English measure of land based upon the area needed to support a small family and its dependents, usually between 60 and 120 acres. For Hero Wars purposes, a figure of 120 acres is assumed. So a tula of 200 Hides is 24,000 acres, 9,712 hectares, 97.12 square kilometres or 37.5 square miles.

1 hide = 120 acres = 48.562 hectares
= 0.486 sq kilometres = 0.187 square miles "

The hide is a variable measure, legislated into a number of differing areas in different places. The 120 acre figure was adapted after a comment from Greg.

Remember too that Google is your friend. Google will take you to places like The Foot Rule, which happily describes and converts all three of the measures you've mentioned.

http://www.omnis.demon.co.uk/

John

nysalor_at_...                           John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

And if the earthly no longer knows your name, Whisper to the silent earth: I'm flowing. To the flashing water say: I Am.