Re: The opposition, publishing

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:18:38 -0000

Anyone for the Cattle Raid at Cooley.

Seriously though Glorantha does have high fantasy locations. In Dragon Pass you have the Upland Marsh, Skyfall Lake, Snakepipe Hollow to name but a few. There are Sword and sorcery locations too: Pavis and the Big Rubble springs immedialtey to mind, and I reckon there is plenty of room for a S&S campign in Teshnos. There are also plenty of legendary cultures such as the Orlanthi with their Celto-Germanic legend influences. I'd choose legendary over historical as the concept here, because it is far more as these people perceived themselves in their stories than as history percieves them.

One of Glorantha's more unique points has always been its rich mythology and its roots in legendary cultures and their myths. It may be that the legnedary aspect is more often emphasized. perhaps partly to distinguish Glorantha from high fantasy worlds like the Forgotten Realms. If you want them the S&S and high fantasy elements are there to be used. Just emphasize whatever style you prefer in your game. Remember that just because it is published for somebody to use doesn't mean you have to. For every person that complains about too much detail in the Orlanth cult there is another that welcomes its richness. Live and let live I say.

Remember that all those cults give people myth and magic,which are part of the very essence of Glorantha.

Also remember that the 'high fantasy' idiom is a Gygaxism, different in its own way from the pulp influences of S&S or the mtyhological ifluences of epic fantasy such as Tolkein. A fantasy role playing game does not have to follow the Gygaxian model.