Re: Greg's Comments

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:50:41 -0000

I really do not go along with this one, if Humakti *often* killed members of the clan they served in then having a reshethed Humakti would be such a liability that no chief would bother.

Fortunately there are restraining factors, specifically the oaths sworn by a Humakti when welcomed in to live amongst the clan. While a normal Heortling would be restrained by bonds of blood and kinship a Humati is restrained by the bonds of the oaths they have sworn. I really see no reason why a Humakti is more likely to kill a member of "their" clan than a Hedkoranthi for example. What is frightening to most Heortlings is the idea that all the things that hold them back from ill deeds are meaningless to the average Humakti, they must rely on what they see as mere words (the oaths) to protect them from sudden and unprovoked death.

Of course the occasions when Humakti do kill will be more fearful and more memorable than when an Orlanthi warrior does the same. This is partially because the Humakti will have done it for reasons often seeming strange to other Heortlings and partially because it will make them all doubt the strength of those oaths which they never understood how anyone took so seriously in the first place. Someone getting killed by a Hedkoranthi (or whatever) in a drunken fit of rage would be notable but unfortunately normal. The fact that the Humakti would be more likely to kill dispassionately and whilst stonecold  sober would be more frightening in itself, to the minds of most people it would mean you could never be sure when you were safe or when you were in danger.

>In the new scheme of
> things, Humakti do more damage and don't have any "obey Orlanth"
> clause. (Am I missing something?)

I believe you are, in the myth of Humakt returning to the Storm tribe he clearly swears to obey Orlanth as chief - which we can presume resheathed Humakti also swear to do. Unlike the Eurmal bond there is no tricksterish betrayal clause in this oathbond.

> Even Uroxi are better, at least
> they only kill innocents when drunk...

Which is unfortunately any time they happen not to be off fighting chaos (well not quite but you get my drift). In any case Uroxi are not tolerated within Heortling society but are excluded from it.

> A final point - geez, 3 cults of obnoxious out of control PCs
> (Eurmal, Humakht and Storm Bull?)

..and Babeester Gor.

Humakti are not out of control, they merely have a different set of controls which other Heortlings do not really understand and find it hard to trust.

--
Nic