Re: Ernalda's fighting daughters

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:45:42 +1200

Alexei wrote:

>Me>Yelorna isn't a daughter of Ernalda, Vinga's relationship with Ernalda
> >isn't given (her relationship with Orlanth is far more crucial) and
> >Babeester Gor is overshadowed as a popular warrior goddess by
> >her Aunt, Maran Gor.

>Yelorna must have changed when I wasn't looking, I suppose. In my archaic
>RQ2 sources, she's listed as a daughter of Yelm and Ernalda. Whose is she
>now?

The version I was going from (Drastic: Prax) has her as a daughter of Sky and Earth. In any case, she originally comes from Dawn Age Ralios where neither Yelm or Ernalda were worshipped.

>Vinga is described in Storm Tribe as having "stood beside her mother
>when Ernalda spoke the Belittle Words." [p.168], which seems fairly
>good evidence to me.

I could quibble but I'll confess I missed that.

>At any rate, it might be that these clans don't need special cults for women
>per se, since they don't place restrictions on the sex of the worshippers of
>the Husband-Deity.

I don't quite understand. If the God is worshipped as a Husband, then it follows that he is worshipped for his masculine prowess. Not requiring his worshippers to be male seems to me counterproductive.

--Peter Metcalfe