Re: Who gets to be on the ring...

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:51:21 -0000

Benedict wrote:

> Tim Ellis wrote:

>> Members are elected to the Clan Ring by those members of the clan
>> they represent (so in the Stormsteads ring, it is the Clans Fisher
>> folk who chose Koreng as the Poverri representative, and the
>> Hunters who chose Errol as the Ormalaya speaker).

> Is that canon? It seems far too democratic and modern. I thought
> that the Chief choose the ring members.

Me too (albeit in part because this is how it worked in the Greydog campaign). I suspect that if the fisherfolk were unhappy with Koreng they could raise a stink; a "better" candidate from among their ranks would, however, have to somehow challenge -- and supplant -- the chieftain's chosen stooge. I am sure there are plenty of adaptable heroquests which could fit this purpose (Poverri and Eurmal; Poverri and someone-else-who-doesn't-know-how-to-fish; How Poverri Got His Special McGuffin [which the chief's chum can't do]; etc.).

> The Chief has to attend to the political and popular aspects of
> his choices to be elected in the first place and to hold on to
> power, but ultimately the choice is his.

Agreed, completely. A bad chief makes bad choices, and eventually gets replaced. If his choices are weak as well as bad, the clan's magic suffers in the mean time. C'est la vie.

Cheers, Nick