Re: Humakti Sociopaths

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 14:45:16 +0100

>[1] Sociopathic might be a more appropriate term, they are perfectly
>>rational and consistent just utterly at odds with the society around
>>them.
>

>I thought psychopath and sociopath were the same, both people with
>antisocial personality disorder.

Technically speaking, you are quite correct - sociopath is a more modern medical term for what used to be called a 'psychopath' (my medical dictionary lists them as synonyms). When terms get changed like this, though, its generally because the older word has come to mean something in the modern vernacular which it wasn't originally intended to, and its probably the vernacular meaning that the original poster is referring to. What the new meaning of 'psychopath' is, I don't know, as my non-technical English dictionary lists the words as synonyms too, but I'd hazard a guess at 'gibbering lunatic'.
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic