Re: Bagog replies

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 11:15:51 +0200

(Sorry for the long delay!)

Peter Metcalfe:

> > > I think that individuals only have one spirit (ok there may be some
> > > exceptions) so I am not sure about the idea of a spirit per ability.
>
> > But if fits with the fact that spirits in HW seem to
> possess >only one
> >ability (I may be grossly mistaken though).
>
> They don't. However when you integrate a spirit or place it
> in a fetish, you can only use one spirit.

        I guess you mean one ability, right?

        Looking at the write-ups for spirits, they do seem to possess several abilities, though then I wonder why when you put them in a fetish (or integrate them) you only have access to one, but this is not true for a fetch... Maybe because the fetch is not captured/integrated?

> But a holy fighter _is_ part of the Cult of Bagog and holy people
> are part of the animist hierarchy.

        Just as priests are part of a cult hierarchy? IMO it's a social position as well as a "religious" one.

> > > I don't think Bagogi shamans will have such an easy access to
> > > Chaos.
>
> > But isn't Bagog a great chaos spirit? Then why shouldn't
> they >have it?
>
> Because they have to get their spirits from Primal Chaos and
> not Bagog.

        But then this would hold for every other chaos spirit/god as well. No one could have access to chaos spirits/affinities unless they worship Primal Chaos directly.

> >But who would deal with traditional spirits, then?
>
> The Queen and also the Holy Fighters.

        Mmh... I don't think that the Queen and the Holy Fighters should deal with spirits on a regular basis. IMO they have other things to do. That is, unless the normal scorpion-men interaction with spirits is through the Ritual of Devouring... In this case the shaman deals with spirits that can't be devoured (most disembodied spirits). But still over time they would have developed a tradition that would help them against the spirits with whom they deal more often.

        Or devouring is just scorpion-men's special effect for spirit combat.

> I don't think so. Shamans cannot shapechange unless they become
> Queens. Merely changing the requirement for the Shapechanging Secret
> of Bagog is not enough.

        Why do you think that shamans should not be able to shapechange? IIRC hsunchen shamans can shapechange (ok, bagogi are not hsunchen, are they?).

> Well unless animists get a complete victory for integrating a
> spirit, they get nothing also.

        Capturing a spirit in a fetish doesn't require complete victory. Mind you, this could explain why scorpion-men have poor magic (or rather, magic is not very frequent, even though I still don't see why it should. Do you?).

--
Regards,
Alexandre.

"Cinq milliards de races d'hommes sur Terre,
Est-ce assez pour croiser le fer...?"