Re: Re: Dundealos Tribe (was: Defence and leaders)

From: Jon <jonsmithers_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:59:55 +0100

Having taken on board some of the comments on my original posting I have come up with the following thoughts for the Dundealos' defence against the Praxians. By the way I am hoping to post the background for my Dundealos campaign on the web in the near future - so any suggestions would be gratefully received (and acknowledged).
  1. When the Dundealos tribe was founded the tribal wyter was found in the old hill fort. An old defender against the nomads. This guided the leaders to "fortify" their land, especially the hill fort whilst using their larger than average mounted elmali warriors to harrass attackers
    (plus traditions based on "Elmal defends the Stead")
  2. When Jaldon attacked (in 1420??) they only survived by holding out in the old hill fort, Jaldon swept round them on his way to richer pickings in Tarsh.
  3. On his way back from Tarsh, Jaldon stopped to finish them off
    (thinking he was safe from pursuers) the defenders held out long enough
    for Derik Poljoni to turn up and save the day and kill Jaldon. Since then the fort has been Jaldonkill Fort.

Well that's how the Dundelaos came up with the idea of "fortified" steads as islands of defence (IMO).

Any further questions and problems I have will no doubt be posted. Thanks to all who have commented so far.

PS: If this has appeared again for some reason apologies, haven't got used to posting things yet.

Jon