Re: Spam and countermeasures

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:18:54 +0100

Graham wrote:

>> My ISP is very anti spam, which I applaud. Whenever yahoogroups.com is
>> used as the origin of spam, it ends up in a black hole list used by my
>> ISP, and all messages from all yahoogroups addressed to me are bounced.

> Perhaps you would get more mileage pointing out to the ISP that a
signal
> to noise ratio of about 99.9% signal is pretty darn good these days,
and
> black listing the group for the 0.1% spam is kind of overkill.

That's *our* groups' stats, and I agree they're pretty good -- unfortunately, I've checked with Benedict and his ISP locks out *all* yahoogroups whenever *any* yahoogroup gets blackhole'd for spam. Not much we can do about that, sadly.

That said, we'll be changing the HeroWars list's moderation settings soon to "Unmoderated, moderate new members" -- this means that any new user's first posts are held in a queue until us gentle moderators can get around to approving their membership (based on what they post).

I *believe* this would have caught all eight of our list's spammers before they got off the starting blocks. It should mean no inconvenience whatsoever to established list users, and only minor inconvenience to new members and moderators. We'll let other Gloranthan list owners know how it works out after we've made the switch.

Cheers, Nick