Not much more on Elmal

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:28:46 +0200

Andrew and Nick :

> > Of course, the rise of Yelmalio could push Elmali in two different
> > directions--some might conflate the two, and thus tend to ignore
> > what fire Elmal has; and others might eagerly seize on fire as "the
> > thing Elmal has that Yelmalio doesn't", proof of their distinctness,
> > and thus make more of the fire then they had before.

But Elmal and Yelmalio don't simply exist in relation to one another : they are distinct entities, with distinct powers, and needn't be placed in any such simplistic duality : there's far more than that to both of them.

> I get the distinct impression that Elmali from Julian's neck of the
> woods do the latter.

Well no, I don't really look at things like that, but this whole Elmal vs Yelmalio revival thread has gone on long enough, and I'm getting pretty sick of it myself, except :

> I'm not sure many Elmali (or Heortlings) would do the former. Like I
> said before, Heortlings don't seem to particularly associate the Sun
> with Fiery Powers.

Oh no ! , and the facts that he's a "Torch-bearing thane", symbolically "burning" his "foes" in "massive bonfires" on Victorious Sun Day, that Heortlings "dedicate the first hearth of any stead to Elmal", that "coals kept smouldering throughout the night" reflect Elmal's cyclic journey across the sky and through the Underworld, that he has a Blazing Spear, that he had to take the "torch gift" to distant steads in the Darkness, etc ** have nothing to do with fire. Oh no. That's, er, "hot light", none of that icky fire stuff for me ...

;-)

Julian

PS You are a bunch of Nazi God Learners, all of you !!