Re: [hw-rules] Girls & Boys

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:45:33 GMT

Mikko Rintasaari:

[moving this from hw-rules]

>On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

Me> > Untrue.  Most Orlanthi today in the 17th century believe

> > that Yelm is the Emperor. There was a time when they did
> > not but that is ancient history.

>But. What about the Sun overhead. Do the Sartarites think that the most
>poverful sungod is Yelm - The Evil Emperor, ruler of the Solar Tribe.
>Elmal, by the myths, is supposed to be a warrior of the Solar Tribe, that
>saw their ways as unjust, and joined Orlanth.

You've restricted the question to Sartar which makes it much easier.

Sartar was vexed by this very question in the reign of Tarkalor and in response, they evolved the Yelmalio solution. Ignoring the theological impact of _that_ solution, this meant that there are now a lot fewer Elmali in Sartar today then there were before Tarkalor's time.

So the identification of Elmal as the Sun is a lot less automatic and with the advent of the Lunar Conquest, many Orlanthi are likely to view it as Yelm instead.

In Tarsh, Elmal is a loser and Yelm is a winner. Since Orlanthi don't worship losers, Yelm is the Sun there (and I expect similar thinking elsewhere in Peloria).

In Heortland and Ralios, they haven't been exposed to the Solar theological dilemma as yet so they still probably believe that Elmal is still the sun (except for those Aeolian weirdos...)

--Peter Metcalfe