RE: Re: New Pelorian and Language Engineering

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:00:32 +0100

Bryan writes:

> I would take a somewhat less structured view than Nick on the
> planning behind New Pelorian.

I would also argue vigorously with myself, from time to time, depending on what kind of mood I was in. (This is, incidentally, easy to do in New Pelorian). See my thoughts on the Evil Empire recently posted to www.etyries.com -- "Newspeak" is the Evil Empire's way of deliberately abusing the very good and beautiful discovery which Bryan describes in the rest of his post.

Generally speaking, the shortest version of the ongoing history of the Lunar Empire and the Lunar Way goes like this:

  1. a good and pious Lunar discovers something marvellous that will make life more wonderful for everybody;
  2. the Empire gets their hands on it and puts it to use. This almost certainly involves not making life wonderful for everybody, and quite possibly involves Bad Things happening to the original discoverer.

It's enough to make you join the White Moonies...

Cheers, Nick