Heortland and Hendriki

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:59:34 +0900

 Excuse me for quite off topic, but I am to stay north Italy under the will of Lachesis, precisely, Venis for a week. I don't have enough time now, but I foolishly write such mail for maybe Gian or another kind Italian gloranthaphile want to help in my journey. I am now in a daydream.

 Joerg and Peter made the matter difficult for they debated long and didn't reach conclusion. I hope neither of them blame me for my effort to grasp compromise of the Two Dragons. Vingo seeks Heortland Topics, as far as I know.

 I still don't see my copy of Orlanth is Dead!, so I omit new setting which should be mentioned in that book (though I am an initiate and chose Sartar Rising series as my sponsoring book I'm not sure Issaries sent me a copy or not), and Greg's new Dragonpass Gazetteer hints something, but below is unfinished information as far as I can collect now before I go to Venetia tomorrow.

 History of Heortland
 Joerg wrote much, but Greg always makes more than his.

 As far as I know, there is not too much description about Heortland in Mythic Age. (The term indicates something new before or after of Dragonkill.) The Land has a Void Hall when the one of Elder Gods, Larnste trampled Chaos but the demon didn't die and bit the god's feet. (Lords of Terror: Krashit) There was a void Hole and the Syphon River reversibly g upward as the Gods Age to fill the Hole as other rivers do the same to the Magasta's Pool.

 In Stormwalk, Urox killed a Giant and windchildren have lived there ever since, and there was Old Wind Temple inside of Hidden Valley of there. And God Forgots Ingareen cam here before or after of Great Darkness, they made colony of their own and kept isolationalism except Imperial Age, Machine God Project. Saint Aeol appeared and converted some of them to Aeolian Way, (new setting for Hero Wars)

 Firstly, Kitori was there in 1st (Dawn) Age as the Human- Darkness Friendly People as an ally of Unity Council (Broken Council Guidebook), some documents says that they provided Warlord (Varzor Kitor) to Second Council and Darkness Worshippers to God Project after Trolls withdrew from the project, anyway the land south of Orlanthi Orgovaltes wasn't called Heortland at that time, maybe the plateau was called in Wyrm's Footprint p. 30, but I doubt it after Greg shows precise location of Vanntar (modern Sun Dome Templar area.)

  Gbaji War 365 (Council Broken) to 440 (Arkat's Liberation)  Anyway, the History of Hendreiki Land started from the Hendreik Freeman and Larnsti Brotherhood. Because Lokamayadon of Talastar and Palangio Iron Vrok invaded to the All of Heortling Land conquered except some exiles to wildland, Hero Hendreik seems to have led one of such Exile Band against Empire of Light. Trolls were confined to their Darkest Territory under earth and dragonewts fought for their former enemy as their slaves. David Cake said that Kitori was almost erased by Palangio, and that only Greg knew for he said he had written it when David last talked with him about it.

 When Arkat came there, he oppressed Aeolians for some of them refused to help him. And from him, Black Arkati appeared and (I think) they helped the revive of Kitori man-trolls, and Only Old One returned from his deepest tunnel of Shadow Plateau.

 Rise and Change of Orlanth Kingdom
 It seems that some of Hendriki didn't return to their motherland of north even after Victory of Gbaji War (for light was replaced to darkness?), stayed under the wing of Storkwalk and Larnsti Brotherhood chose their leader while north Conquerors of Dara Happa began to rebel against Darkness and accepted Draconic Doctrine, Joerg thinks that at that time, remnants of hendreiki didn't join or fight to Walzing and Hunting Missionary. (He also thinks that Aeolians regained gradually power inside of Hendreiki Land, but Peter thinks that Hendreiki was never centralized more than Clannish Structure and kept traditional orlanthi "Free Barbarous" Way. See below about the difference of Joerg and Peter.)

 I think Ezkankekko was friendly to Stygian Empire and got profit from that connection. 619-623 there was Georgin's Report for Uz Culture (Troll Gods)

 Invasion of Empires and Machine War 907-917  Shannon wrote many in his "Kingdom of Night" at Tradetalk Magazine unofficially, but Hendreiki Land was turmoilous because it came to the one of battle of Proxy War between Empires, machine war is the name of that battle for 10 year siege.Victory and Sack of Locsil might be influential to the structure of Hendreiki Land. Kingdom of Night was reluctant partner of the alliance with Youfland. (Shannon)

 *Machine War Orlanthi Heroes
 Old Harandos
 Herdred the Man
 Varantol the Mangler
 Renvald Meldekbane
 Vandana

 Closing Reached to Kethaela 930-935? and EWF Leader's Death  Ezkankekko sent his army to counter True Golden Horde but it was apparent dragonewts didn't need help, and High King Darnvolath (TR) and refugee from Dragonpass, (though I don't know anything enough to say about High Kingship while EWF Arangorf Priests led the politic and how refugees and leaders resolved the crash between them and original natives from Hendreik Day. Joerg might think that there is big change while the flow of northmen went south, but Peter might not agree with him.) At that time, Hendrikiland might be renamed as Heortland for then Alakoring liberated northlanders. (Though Peter seems to think that Tarshite are Heortling by Origin, but later converted to Alakoringan Way. (Ilaro Blacktooth?)

 Pharaoh's regime (1313) and Legendary Battle (1318), Immigrants to Dragonpass (1325, Colymer)
 It is interesting that Colymer and Sartar were from same name clan, Orshanti in King of Sartar. It might be linked to Larnsti Brotherhood in the brain of Peter Metcalph (he made that cult in Glorantha: Into to HW), and Heortlanders might be greatly reorganized at that time, Four (Three?) Four and Many Baronies. (But Joerg has another idea.) A least, I think Earldoms are fixed structures than tribes or clans (Everything might be temporary for Orlanthi.....)

 And at that time, Volsaxi (Volsaxar?) began at the Whitewall region against Pharaohic Rule, King Hardrard the Green (BA p. 9) Peter seems to think that Volsaxar was originally split out from Hendriki structure against Pharaoh.
(But Joerg thinks that it was the time Volsaxi perfectly split from them
when Kitori and Tarkalor began conflict for trade route to Dragon Pass.) I think Pharaoh oppressed Black Arkati.

 Joerg seems to think that much Malkionism Influence (Aeolian Church?) in Heortland and Pharaoh used them as one of the base of his six-fold Holy Country (But Peter didn'think so.), Belintar permitted Six Political Leaders and Six Religious Leaders to enter his City of Wonder, and his way of rule is relatively good for each unity of six districts though we don't know well about the condition of OOO rule. (Chaos of Foulblood Forest might made relief for the conflict between Volsaxar and Pharaoh Clans: Joerg.)

 *War against Belintar
 Colymer?
 Gustin the Hammer (ST p.236)
 Hardrard the Green (BA p.9) Volsaxi

 King Andrin (Glorantha ITHW p.142)

 Proxy War against Lunar Empire (1545 Phargentes became Provincial Overseer - 1616 Final Tournament of Luck and Death: JarEel assault)

 Wolf Pirates Attack from Threestep Isles: 1606

 Lunars gradually enlarged their influence in Dragonpass and to the Sea, Kethaela. Greymane Invasion weakened Esrolia. Joerg think that the secret war of Bryan started around that time. And adventurers from Seshnela took oppotunity and made them into the Throne of Heortland.

 Joerg and Peter most fiercely argued for that age, Richard (Rikard)'s way of conquest and how he did to South Heortland.

 King Tigerhearted 1617 -1620

 Reaching Moon Megacorp set told that Richard was Rokari and never converted Paganism or Aeolianism. I don't know how Joerg think about it, I suppose he think Richard converted to Aeol, Peter seems to think that Rikard didn't need any religious reformation was done in his short reign.

 Lunar Invasion
 I'm not good at modern HW day Heortland, Baron Sanuel (I don't know why he was still "baron" though Lunars support him.) took leadership after Rikard was defeated in 1620. Siege of Whitewall started.

 End of Siege 1621
  Whitewall is magically and religiously important last Orlanthi Stronghold though there are other many orlanth centers exist. ("Orlanth is Dead" told you why.) Construction of Reaching Moon Temple.

 Brown Dragon of Jarn appears.

*The difference between Joerg Baumgartner and Peter Metcalph

 Here are all of differences as far as I can pick up in the debate of the two in Glorantha Digest, some are from HW list. Peter is the one of the writers of Glorantha: Introduction to HW. Joerg is the Old Heortland Campaign Guru and a writer of tradetalk about Holy Country as far as I know. Below is the observation from side. Please correct any of them if you think I misunderstood some of the portions.

 Peter thinks that Pharaoh's reign Heortland was Orlanthi Heortling aside from few exceptions, but Joerg thinks (I guess) Aeolians held relatively great power than Peter suggested. Peter thinks that OOO time Heortling had only clannish structure and sacred king, Joerg thinks there were big tribes
(beyond 30,000? can be.) existed. Alakoring Reform (Joerg is a strong
supporter of this idea) doesn't make great effect toward the southernmost of Genertelan Orlanthi, he think.

 Joerg thinks that there is great change when dragonkill refugees flows in Hendreiki Land. Peter thinks that major cataclysm occurred when Pharaoh killed OOO and the Larnsti Brotherhood (He made it.) was still strong at that time. (IMO, at least refugees from Orgovaltes Land might not revere enough Larnste)

 Joerg and Peter long debated back and forth; here and there about the names of Orlanthi communities: kingdom, nation, tribe, and clan. (And maybe I can add under- or ex- to each of them.) Joerg wants to use many terms but Peter refused, maybe it is from Peter is English origin and Joerg is not. Any Gloranthans don't use English. We translates their actions. But Orlanthi is very loose for the concepts as Peter said. (I still think Dawn Age Population is not large even if they accepted many Nalda Bins, though Arkat might killed enough....)

 Joerg thinks King Richard is the religious reformer sort of, but Peter think it is too short for him to make some kind of reform and he didn't need it. (For Joerg's attachment to Malkioni-Orlanthi and Peter's his own set.)

 Joerg thinks that Kitori supported Pharaoh's order when he ordered to stop trade route between Volsaxar and Heortland. (I don't read Footnote #6.) And Volsaxi was totally split out from other hendriki at that time, but Peter thinks that Volsaxar is originally ultra fundamentalists as its leaders
(like Bryan of TR) and didn't need such specific event split out from
Pharaoh's Regime. Peter is faithful to Official Setting. (Joerg might think Peter is too much straightly faithful to official.)

 Or Joerg loves RW while Peter loves Magical Structure of Glorantha.  (Some of Joerg's RW examples are alien for me, what is Northumberland? What are Oswald and Oswiu? Dux Aremoricae? (I admit I don't read enough Snorri or Saxo. But...?))

 Hrm, I will go to the lagoon, tomorrow. I'm fool. Please help me if you find a japanese lost his way in the airport of Marco Paolo. I don't decide my hotel yet....

Sincerely:

TI