RE: Shrines and Temples

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:30:53 +0100

Peter writes:

> I've been looking in a somewhat erratic way for HW information
> about the difference between shrines and temples, and I'm not
> finding it. Am I blind?

Nope, you need an index!

Try the following refs:

HW:RiG p.227f (Temples, Sanctuaries and Shrines)
HW:RiG p.237 (Ritual Bonus Table)
HW:RiG p.244f (Community Participation Table *)

> In any case, are there still "membership requirements?"

Eh? You mean for cults? Yes, of course.

> Do you need x number of initiates to support a shrine, x more for
> a minor temple, and so on?

The scale isn't as granular as the one in RuneQuest (site, shrine, minor temple, major temple, great temple): it divides all temples into Shrines (man-made: site bonus of +10-15) and Sanctuaries (naturally holy: +20). You can get a +1-5 from just being in an Auspicious Location, though (e.g: windy hilltop for Orlanth, battlefield for Humakt...).

> What's the difference between "site sizes" these days?

Mostly it comes down to the ease of entering the Otherworld, I dare say. See NB p.31f (and check the crucial Errata!).

Also, there are more likely to be unique Ritual Items, peculiar local Feats, flocks of Devotees, visiting Disciples and the like at larger Temples. (That said, it probably works the other way around!).

Cheers, Nick