Re: Digest Number 949

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 01:27:07 -0700 (PDT)

<morganconrad_at_y...> wrote:
> > > In a "typical" Pentan military unit, (in our
case, raiding the
> > > Lunars) what percent would be light horse
archers vs. heavy
> > > lancers? Thanks.
> >
> > Since the Pentans go through an age structure
with different
> > fighting abilities, every rider (archer) that
survives becomes
> > a warrior (lancer). Hence I expect a 60:40 ratio
between
> > archers and lancers at the most. More archers
are possible
> > if some pentans in the warrior age group still
choose to
> > fight as archers.

I agree with Peter's ratio. The leaders of some of the rider groups
would be
warriors and would fight as lights but the riders are too ill equipped
fight as heavy cavalry, plus, given their age, they are likely to have
the
worst mounts and poorest equipment, thus the role suits them.

So a Pentan horde of 10,000 warriors would have

6000 Riders (Horse Archers)
1000 Warriors (Horse Archers, bow, lasso, no or minimal armour)
2000 Warriors (Medium cavalry, bow, lance, light armour)
1000 Warriors (Heavy Cavarly, lance, shield (or two handed lance and no
shield), sword and heavy armour (laminate usually)

Sorry for the delay.

I had the feel, from Morgan's question, that he asked about a small (under 1000) raiding Pentan unit (in the Empire).

In this case, I think the rates change, due to the need to reduce losses (the LEmpire has a bad reputation in Pentan clans) and avoid direct confrontation (the usual purpose of raiding).

So maybe out of 100 riders, 95 are light mounted-archer types, while five are leaders adept both at archery and at close fighting (and mainly at raiding and commanding raiders) with better armors but no wish to have them tested in a close melee.

Ciao,
Gian

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes http://finance.yahoo.com