Re: Vinga Likewise.

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:34:53 -0000

> >This is important and basic enough for
> >us to ask clarification from Issaries.
>
> For you, John, I reply.
> Before starting I am somewhat fascinated by such concentration on Vinga,
> who is clearly so beloved by so many.

You may recall that about 18 months or so ago, I ran a poll on the list asking what cults player characters belonged to. Vinga was the second most popular (behind Orlanth Adventurous), and a fair way clear of Humakt in third place.

> Before going on, let me assure everyone of two things: YGWV, and
your story
> is the critical factor in decision making.

As a narrator, I'd add that the out-of-game nature of your players may be just as critical as the story - which is one of the things that separates roleplaying from writing a novel. This can be a good or bad thing :-)

> I am surprised at this. I thought my list was pretty clear in
listing who
> still has magic from among the normal player cults.

The problem being that the statement 'cults and subcults of Orlanth and Ernalda' as being those which lose their magic also looks pretty clear - and its far from apparent that Vinga falls under this description.

> Vinga ain't on it. She
> is a daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda, in most cases. Barntar doesn't
get to
> keep his magic. Nor his sister.

That's certainly a valid interpretation of what's written (and obviously, now that we know, it's the 'correct' one), but not the only one.

> But I thought it was pretty clear
> that "deities with magic" was a basic list of the deities whose
magic was
> unaffected by this.

Unfortunately not, because, since no such list could ever be comprehensive, it just looks as if Vinga has been forgotten.

> I'd point out here that Ernalda is also cast into her cosmic sleep. I
> wouldn't make a title called Orlanth is Dead and Ernalda is Asleep
Again,
> but the text seems pretty obvious about the effect also being upon her.

Yes, that *is* clear :-)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic