Re: wealth

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:35:19 +0100

>I think it sounds better to say: "In the chest are 100 lunars"
>than "In the chest is money worth 3 wealt points".

I know what you mean, there are situations where the lack of specificity can be awkward. I'd prefer scenarios at least to be non-specific about quantities of cash, the amount that the players can haul off depends on how many HPs are awarded by the scenario and how many of those they choose to spend on their wealth rating.

Another problem with equating an amount of cash with a number of wealth points is that wealth points are exponential. An increase of 20 wealth points make as large a difference to a king as to a merchant, in terms of the advantage given over an equally wealthy rival. This doesn't quite apply evenly at the <1w1 level.

HW is scalable, but not perfectly even at all points. I tend to think of "scalable" to mean "can be scaled upwards to any power level", rather than "always gives perfectly smooth results at all levels effortlessly". The effort to scale upwards is minimal or zero, but scaling downwards beyond the "adolescent human" level can be a little tricky.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.